We arrived in Kutná Hora yesterday afternoon.
After a brief walk around we realized this was a larger town than expected and found familiar sounds of American accents. It now looked promising to find places and information centers where people would know some English besides their native Čeština.
A quick walk down more cobblestone streets to the main square we found the Hotel Medínek at the historical Centre of the old town.
We were also able to get a parking spot right outside the front doors!!??!!
Our room overlooked the square which was great for the spontaneous piano players as the sound carried and we could hear it clearly. Anything from chopsticks, classical to popular songs were being played by some very talented people.
There were many outdoor cafes as well which was great and many of the other historical sites are within walking distance.
Later that night however with the rowdy teens in the square from 11pm til about 3am was not so fun or sleep inducing.
Kutná Hora is about 70km's/40miles from Prague. Historically, it was the silver mining Centre and the location of the royal mint. (Today being Monday it is closed so we have missed out)
According to the brochure, It was one of the most influential cities of Bohemia being the second wealthiest city in the country after Prague. In respect to the architecture, Kutná Hora was a favored city to many rulers who came to royal residence known as the Vlašsky Dvur. The old town Centre has been preserved as UNESCO World Heritage Site.
After dinner we walked the streets and went along past the Corpus Christi Chapel and around the St Barbara Church which was just spectacular with all its ornate sandstone fretwork, arches, spires and gargoyles.
There are little hidden restaurants and shops everywhere.
This morning, since we found out the Silver Mine was closed, we went to Sedlec Ossuary and the Sedlec Cathedral of the Assumption of our Lady and St John the Baptist.
Brochure states 'These are parts of the former oldest Cistercian Monastery in Bohemia founded in 1142 – the gate to the history of the royal city of Kutná Hora.
Thousands of people found their last place of rest here at the times of plague epidemics and religious Hussite wars in the Middle Ages. In 15th century the major part of the cemetery was abolished and relics from the graves (remains of 40,000 people) were brought to the church into its underground chapel.
In 1511 a half-blind monk piled them into pyramids. The Seslec Monastery was abolished by Joseph II. The present form of the bone decoration is a result of Baroque modifications carries out in early 18th century by J B Sabrina Aichel, completed by a wood carver František Rint in 1870.'
This is Memento Mori or remember the death associated with the Christian hope of resurrection, not a celebration of death but symbolizing the equality of people in front of the throne of god.
Hats removed, courtesy silence, photography allowed (no flash), heaps of tourists. A very interesting visit.